URL Defense will defend against malicious and potentially harmful URL’s contained within emails
- Users complaining that several emails contained malicious links
- You upgraded your package and want to start using URL Defense feature
URL Defense is a feature that is available for users that have Business, Advance and Professional Professional Packages.
- You can add another layer of protection when users receive emails with malicious links by using URL Defense
- Upgrading to Business Package you are able to enable our URL Defense feature
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. What packages is URL Defense included in?
- URL Defense is included in the Business, Advanced and Professional packages.
Q. How is URL Defense enabled?
- Login with your admin credentials into Proofpoint Dashboard.
- Click on Company Settings tab.
- Under Company Settings tab click on Features.
- Enable the option Enable URL Defense.
Q. Are there messages that will not be defended?
- URLs contained within Encrypted / protected messages will not be defended.
- DKIM signed messages are not re-written by default. Customers can change their configuration to enable DKIM re-writing.
Q. How can you confirm if a URL has been re-written?
- Hover over the URL in the message. It will look like the following if it has been defended: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?=...
Q. What happens when a user clicks on a re-written URL?
- The user is redirected to the Proofpoint URL Defense service where the URL and website is analyzed.
- If the URL is considered bad: The user will be shown a page informing them "The website has Been Blocked!".
- If the URL is considered good: The user will be re-directed to the website.
Q. Will all URLs in a message be defended?
- URLs located in attachments are not re-written.
Q. Is there a noticeable delay when a user clicks on a defended URL?
- No. Defended URLs are checked real-time to ensure that the latest status determines it to be safe.
Q. Is URL Defense available for customers on trial?
Q. How long will defended URLs continue to work?
- Defended URLs will not expire. They will continue to function indefinitely.
- If the redirection services is not available (i.e., we cannot verify the links reputation) we will redirect to the original link.
Q. Will URL Defense protect a URL that is safe at one-time but becomes compromised later?
- Yes. Each time a URL is clicked the status of that URL is verified before the redirect is allowed.
Q. How many URL Defense redirectors are there and is the service highly available?
- Proofpoint has multiple redirectors per location and across multiple DCs.