Step 1: Requesting an email archive Import
To begin an import you must first open a ticket via the Support portal.
- While logged into to http://support.proofpointessentials.com click Submit an Archive Request.
- Select Archive Import Request.
- Click Next.
- Enter your organizations name (or, if you are a partner, the name of the Customer you are requesting the import for).
- Enter the primary domain name of your organization.
- Enter an estimate of the amount of data you wish to import.
- Specify if the ZIP file will be encrypted or not.
- Enter the main contact for the import.
- Enter a subject (e.g., Archive Import Request for <CustomerName>)
- Enter additional message details.
- Click Submit.
Step 2: Preparing your data for import
Be aware of the following pre-requisites when preparing your data.
- Emails should be provided in EML format
- EML files must be compressed into either Zip or 7zip files.
- The recommended Zip/7zip file size is 2GB per file (max. 4GB)
- Multi-part Zip & 7zip files are not supported.
Step 3: Uploading your data for import
- Proofpoint will respond to the import ticket request with SFTP credentials of where your organizations data should be uploaded.
- You will need to update Proofpoint once all the data has been uploaded.
- Proofpoint will provide confirmation and output of all files uploaded (including size) before proceeding to the next step.
Step 3a - Data verification during import
- Once a file has been uploaded to the SFTP site its file name will be re-written to indicate that it is undergoing verification:
- e.g., myfile.zip (verifying...)
- If verification fails the import job cannot proceed until verification passes.
- Problem files will be suffixed with a verification failure reason:
- myfile.zip.NO_PASSWORD_SUPPLIED > The zip is encrypted but no password was supplied.
- myfile.zip.INCORRECT_PASSWORD - The zip password is incorrect.
- myfile.zip.NOT_SUPPORTED - The file is not supported.
- myfile.zip.MULTIPART_ZIP - Multipart zips are not supported.
- myfile.zip.CORRUPTED_FILE - File is corrupted.
- myfile.zip.UNKNOWN - Unknown error.
- Where verification is successful, the existing upload process continues and progress is reported:
- myfile.zip (uploading 14%)
- When fully uploaded the file finally displays as it's original filename:
Step 4: Import pre-processing
- Once all data has been uploaded and verified, Proofpoint will unpack all data supplied and extract and verify all messages.
- This phase will produce a preliminary import report that will be shared. It includes individual message counts and will identify counts for duplicates, problem messages, etc.
- Approval is required to proceed to Step 5.
Step 5: Import processing
- This phase will process and move the data to the customer's production archive.
- There are no actions for customers during this phase.
Step 6: Import completion confirmation
- A final import report is shared once import processing has completed. It will include final counts of all processed email.
- Customers are given 10 days to verify the import (via search and reports).
- Import requests are closed 10 days after the import completion was indicated as or when confirmation has been provided.