Viewing the Logs
When you log into the Essentials interface, the email logs screen can be easily accessed by selecting the Logs tab on the top navigation.
- As an organization administrator you can select the Users/Groups/Functional Accounts tabs to search logs by any of these account types. Simply clicking on the logs link next to the specific account.
- You can also choose the License tab to search logs for all active accounts of any type in the organization.
The default settings will display (as below) on the log search form, ‘Inbound mail’ for ‘Today and Yesterday’ which has been ‘Quarantined’. So in order to view any emails that have been quarantined for the current day simply click the search button.
From the Log Search form you can additionally change the dropdown settings for Type, Received and Status, to perform a more specific search for the messages you wish to view.
Note: The search is limited to 1,000 results. If your message is not present within these results you should refine your search criteria a little further by using the other options available, From, To, Subject as shown in the image.
To release one or more emails from quarantine and deliver them to your email address, simply complete the following steps:
- Run the quarantine search from the log search form (default settings). On the Search Results window, select the check box in front of each email that you want to release.
- Click the Actions Drop down list and select Release From Quarantine then click Apply.
The emails released will then appear in your inbox in the next minute.
Reviewing the logs is a powerful and useful tool. This is a starting point to help both you and support to look into issues.
- Login to your administrative URL
- Presuming this is an issue with an end-user, go to the Users & Groups section.
- If you do not see the user from the immediate list, search for the user in the search field.
- On the line of the specific user, press the "Logs" link.
- Refine your search to find a specific email you want to be reviewed.
- Type: This is for Inbound to your user or Outbound email your user sent
- Received: Adjust this to your best estimate of the time frame you are looking at
- Status: This is where the message currently resides. If absolutely unsure, try to use ANY if you input the following fields
- FROM: This is the sender address
- TO: This is the recipient address
- Subject: key words found in the message subject
- Hitting search will apply the parameters to look for the email. If there are no results, review the search parameters.
- You can adjust the search limit per page, up to 1000 results.
Once you locate a message(s), you can do the following:
1. Check the box next to the message(s). Then select the options drop down in header area.
- Release from quarantine
- Release and approve
- Classify as spam
- Classify as clean
- Report as false positive
- Report as false negative
- Hide email from logs
- Show email in logs
2. Select the 'Details' button on the right of the message
- Copy a permalink to send to support or others so they can link straight to the message details.
- Report as False Positive / Negative as appropriate
- Link to specific filters / safe senders items that the message triggered.
- See more detailed information about the message including delivery status, spam scores etc.